Friday, October 19, 2012

Steve Harris - British Lion

Alternative Rock
EMI
2012






1. This Is My God
2. Lost Worlds
3. Karma Killer
4. Us Against The World
5. The Chosen Ones
6. A World Without Heaven
7. Judas
8. Eyes Of The Young
9. These Are The Hands
10. The Lesson

When an album like this comes along, one has to temper their expectations immediately. Yeah this is Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, but you knew from the start this wasn't going to be Maiden. If it was, it would be under that name as Harris has more than a little bit to do with Maiden's songwriting anyways. There is more input from the other members these days, but it's still basically his band. You had to also realize that Steve Harris is one of the earlier metal guys who has his roots in hard rock, progressive rock, etc. I was prepared for something along those lines and not necessarily metal. My hopes rested simply on a good rock album with maybe some classic and/or progressive influences. Nothing could have prepared me for this though.

The moment the vocals hit in This Is My God I knew there was no hope. None. They really are that awful. Richard Taylor had to have been neutered at an early age to sound like this big of a pussy. These are the most wretched, whiny vocals I have ever heard and put the worst alt rock, emo, or grunge to shame. Why someone of Steve Harris' magnitude would want to work with someone like this is utterly mind boggling as I'm sure he could have drawn in some serious vocal talent who would love to be involved with him. The decision to make an album with this singer was enough to doom this project immediately.

Well, with that elephant in the room pointed out we can proceed to the music. Basically, it sounds like totally generic alt rock turds that you could hear on an EA sports game soundtrack or something of the like. Just really by the numbers, commercial garbage. I mean all I can really say here is a big WOW. I'd think something like this would be a cash grab, but I can't believe that would be the motivation because it lacks the big money exposure. Honestly, I have no fucking idea why anyone would create this abortion.

I don't listen to a lot of mainstream/radio rock at all, but shit that comes to mind for me includes U2 at times and Smashing Pumpkins at others mixed with some Slightly heavier guitar and a fair amount of bass. I use heavy very losely here, but it does seem like it made a passing effort to be so in the guitar sound if nothing else. Don't get excited about the bass either as it is simple and carried no real energy. I couldn't even believe my ears listening to this and I only made myself listen all the way through for the sake of this review and maybe warning people. I'm sure people will get curious and listen to it anyway since it's Steve Harris, but you cannot say you weren't warned if you haven't listened yet.

Just save yourselves and forget this album ever existed. Steve Harris is that metal god in Iron Maiden. Nothing else. This doesn't exist. Go about your business. But hey... Second zero rating this year. Waita go 2012. Maybe the apocalypse is coming after all.

Highlights: Hahahaha

Rating - 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment