Friday, October 19, 2012

Mob Rules - Cannibal Nation

Power Metal
AFM

2012






1. Close My Eyes
2. Lost
3. Tele Box Fool
4. Ice And Fire
5. Soldiers Of Fortune
6. The Sirens
7. Screams For The Sun (May 29th 1953)
8. Cannibal Nation
9. Sunrise

When a new Mob Rules album is on the horizon it's always reason for me to be excited. Simply put, I enjoy everything this band does. Every album they have released up to this point has just been great in my opinion. That kind of consistency is pretty uncommon and going into this one I'd rank Mob Rules as one of, if not the best, active power metal bands out there. They've set the bar pretty high for me, but they have also met that standard every time so I could expect no less of Cannibal Nation.

Well, I'd love to tell you Mob Rules remains a rare lesson in consistency, but after listening to Cannibal Nation I have to back off that one a bit. This ends up being more of a lesson in the fact most bands put out an off album now and again. Or at least I hope that's all it is.

While Cannibal Nation is not a huge departure from where the band has been headed in terms of sound it really just fails to ever hit it home with me. None of these songs really measure up to past creativity, catchiness, or energy. Basically, this sounds like Mob Rules, but their B material. The songs are familiar in their melodic power sound, but it's kind of like someone hit the band with tranquilizer darts. There's no heavy drive of The Last Farewell or the energy of tracks like Pilot Of Earth or Astral Hand. Most of the tracks seem rather plodding in pace, the melodies don't quite work sometimes, and when the album tries to speed up it's often awkward. Tracks like Tele Box Fool and The Sirens pick up the pace, but also seem forced and at times have a certain harsh quality. Mob Rules are at their best when they're making those swift but highly melodic tunes and these tracks fail to capture that sound. I'd never really call Mob Rules a true speed power metal band, but they usually do have an almost bouncy upbeat quality at times and I don't really find that here. I also don't really find much power in the choruses which is another disappointment.

This review probably sounds fairly harsh to this point so let me just say this is not a bad listen. It's just kind of an unremarkable one. I just never really became totally invested. It's basically a lack of highlights or bringing much new that makes this a Good album, but not a Great one. I think this is really the sort of thing that just boils down to a lackluster songwriting session. The band didn't do anything outlandish and I'm sure fans will still pick it up and listen to it, as will I, but I don't think any songs here compare to past highlights. Cannibal Nation and Soldiers Of Fortune do manage to find some energy and flow, but they're not really in the league of most past highlights. On any of their other albums these really wouldn't be top cuts.

Well, there you have it. Cannibal Nation just seems very by the numbers and pumped out for the sake of a new release. These songs have a decent sound for the most part, but just don't bring much new to the table and seem to be lacking in passion and energy. Phoned in would be the best way to put Cannibal Nation. This is still above average power metal based on a pretty good sound, good vocals, etc but this is below the standard I have come to expect from the band. For fans this is a new Mob Rules and it's not bad, but for new listeners I'd say check out some of their other albums first.

Highlights: Cannibal Nation, Soldiers Of Fortune

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment