Friday, October 19, 2012

Grave Digger - Clash Of The Gods

Power Metal
Napalm

2012






1. Charon (Fahrmann Des Todes)
2. God Of Terror
3. Hell Dog
4. Medusa
5. Clash Of The Gods
6. Death Angel & The Grave Digger
7. Walls Of Sorrow
8. Call Of The Sirens
9. Warriors Revenge
10. ...With The Wind
11. Home At Last

Grave Digger are one of those bands who are quickly becoming more known for what they have done than what they are doing. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed some of their more recent albums. There have been good moments in their recent production, but it has started to become very familiar/predictable. I guess that's why I find myself going into this one not sure how excited I am. Their more recent albums haven't aged with me as well as classics like Tunes Of War, Excalibur, etc.

With Clash Of The Gods what I expected is pretty much what I got. Straight forward, heavy German power metal with some dark atmosphere sprinkled in. There's something to be said for being steady, but at this point it really is getting stagnant/predictable. The material here isn't bad, but like I said earlier... I'm having a hard time getting excited by this. I mean if I want to listen to material like this I do have other Grave Digger albums that are essentially interchangeable. What is there to make me run out and buy this one for myself?

Some of what I'm writing here even seems familiar as I said some of the same things with the last album, but it still applies pretty well here. The sound is good, the band comes off heavy and aggressive, but there's not really any new ideas. It's basically the last couple of Grave Digger albums with a different central theme which as usual is rooted in mythology or history. If you've heard a Grave Digger album since Tunes Of War you probably can imagine what this sounds like.
Yeah that's all I've got. It sounds like Grave Digger and the band still has a good sound, but there's just nothing special about this. It's not so much that this is worse than the past couple albums as it is the same album in essence and it has worn thin. The ratings over the past couple albums I've rated show a progressive slide and it's because I just can't justify rating an utter lack of creativity that highly any more. Grave Digger are in desperate need of something to shake up their sound.

Yeah that's all I've got. It sounds like Grave Digger and the band still has a good sound, but there's just nothing special about this. It's not so much that this is worse than the past couple albums as it is the same album in essence and it has worn thin. The ratings over the past couple albums I've rated show a progressive slide and it's because I just can't justify rating an utter lack of creativity that highly any more. Grave Digger are in desperate need of something to shake up their sound.
Highlights: Walls Of Sorrow, God Of Terror

Rating - 3.0/5

2 comments:

  1. I pretty much have to agree. I keep hoping for another classic GD album, but I don't really think that will ever happen. I like the new stuff enough to stay loyal to the band and keep buying them though, but they have certainly become one of those bands where you could easily say if you have have a handful of their best you don't really need more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I hear ya. I like this enough to consider it an OK listen and I'm sure the couple songs or whatever they include would be fine in the live set. Just nothing essential or all that exciting. Would still like to see them live. They are a band I've yet to see.

    ReplyDelete