Saturday, October 13, 2012

Liv Moon - Symphonic Moon

Symphonic Power Metal
Victor Entertainment
2012






1. Amen!
2. 零の天使
3. Alchemy
4. Kiss me Kill me
5. 氷の棺
6. Fugitive
7. Black Serenade
8. 心月世
9. The Last Savior
10. 堕天使の笑み
11. Interlude ~ By the Ruin
12. Masquerade

Liv Moon's last album, Golden Moon, was my first experience with her and I found that one interestingly different. Never been into much of anything to come out of Japan so it was a bit of a novelty to hear something good from that country. Loudness are ok, but that's about it as far as I've heard.

What we have with Symphonic Moon is something a little less quirky than Golden Moon. The sound here is not as prone to experimentation and comes off as more of a pure symphonic power album for the most part. This is really neither good or bad, just different. I liked the experimental feel of Golden Moon, but Symphonic Moon is also pleasing to the ear as it creates more of a stable and flowing soundscape. The band definitely still has a sound that is their own and there are still some oddballs like Fugitive. That one sounds a bit modern rockish, but works at the same time. It's just kind of a fun song... weird, but fun. This is the sort of track where you hear a bit of the Japanese cultural influence on their brand of metal. Also worth noting is the band's ability to put together a good ballad. It's sort of on the rare side for a ballad to make my top tracks but 氷の棺 with it's title that I can't read makes the list.

To sum it up, I found Golden Moon just a little bit more catchy and interesting, but this is a solid follow up and an enjoyable symphonic album. It didn't grab me quite as fast as Golden Moon, but it's a grower and will also grab a 4/5 rating. If you like Symphonic metal with operatic touches to the vocals and aren't opposed to something just a little quirky with Japanese lyrics than check it out. I personally enjoy an album like this when I'm feeling like something a little outside the norm.

Highlights: Amen!, Alchemy, 氷の棺 , 堕天使の笑み

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment