Saturday, November 3, 2012

Kamelot - Silverthorn

Power Metal
Steamhammer

2012









1. Manus Dei
2. Sacrimony (Angel Of Afterlife)
3. Ashes To Ashes
4. Torn
5. Song For Jolee
6. Veritas
7. My Confession
8. Silverthorn
9. Falling Like The Fahrenheit
10. Solitaire
11. Prodigal Son
12. Continuum.

I don't want to say I went into this one with no hope, but I did go in skeptical from the start. There were a couple of major factors working against this one for me and I knew that. First, I didn't really like what I was hearing out of the new vocalist in terms of live and previews. Second, I didn't like the last Kamelot album very much and had to wonder if they could rebound. So I guess we can say I was hoping for the best, but not expecting it.

Well, Silverthorn is probably somewhere between my expectations and my hopes. This really isn't a bad album and the new singer is comfortable in Khan's style. The problem is... it's Khan's style. He sounds like he's trying so hard to do a cover rather than do his own thing. The vocal delivery is competent, but I can't help but feel like this is an imitation of the real, better thing. I guess that's fairly typical of replacement vocalists, but I do find it effects my enjoyment of the album.

Musically, Silverthorn is an improvement over Poetry For The Poisoned and does sound more Black Halo in nature with a firmer grounding in power metal. I don't find anything particularly remarkable though. Much like the vocalist this sounds more like it's Trying to be what they once were rather than break new ground. The whole thing just comes off as a bit safe and uninspired. Certainly, better than the road they were headed down, but I would also hope they'd be able to take a new road rather than just retreading past steps.

The bottom line for me is I can appreciate this as a pretty good power metal sound, but I don't latch onto the songs and the choruses, etc don't carry quite the same power. This is an above average power metal release and probably will be good enough for most fans, but I can't really get too excited about it personally. This is the sound of a band I don't think will ever reach quite the same highs as before. Considering the last album was about a 3.0 from me I'd give this about a 3.5. An improvement, but still not up to the standards previously set. I don't want to be too harsh and the sound is fairly well put together. Silverthorn does sound like Kamelot and I think fans will consider this a pretty decent transition and better than the last album. I just can't say that I'm 100% sold. Good, but not quite great.

Highlights: Sacrimony, Silverthorn, Falling Like The Fahrenheit

Rating - 3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. It's not Khan's style - it's KAMELOT's style.... he's not some super god creating all by himself. Music live and studio is a group effort.

    Tommy isn't trying hard to copy anything. If you knew him from before you would know it's 100% him. Listen to it with SW in mind and you know waht I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to totally disagree with you. He's clearly trying very hard to mimic Khan. I've heard his work with Seventh Wonder (which I consider mediocre BTW) and he is clearly trying to blend in to Kamelot's sound very hard. Sorry, but Vocally it Is Khan's style as his distinctive sound was honed in Conception and Kamelot clearly sounded different before him. Yes musically it still sounds like Kamelot, but it's not that inspired musically or vocally inspired. Good, but not great. Honestly, I think I was more than fair/objective. I know fans don't like a mid-grade review, but that's what this album deserves by my ears.

    ReplyDelete