Sunday, January 20, 2013

Helloween - Straight Out Of Hell

Power Metal
Sony
2013








1. Nabataea
2. World Of War
3. Live Now!
4. Far From The Stars
5. Burning Sun
6. Waiting For The Thunder
7. Hold Me In Your Arms
8. Wanna Be God
9. Straight Out Of Hell
10. Asshole
11. Years
12. Make Fire Catch The Fly
13. Church Breaks Down
14. Another Shot Of Life (Bonus)
15. Burning Sun (Bonus - Hammond Version)

Going into this Helloween album I had modest expectations really. I was just hoping for a good power metal album, but not necessarily expecting one. I really enjoyed their last album, 7 Sinners, but history has taught me that Helloween can be a bit up and down. I did not care for the album that preceded 7 Sinners, Gambling With The Devil, much at all for instance. The band is certainly capably of coming up with a good album though.

One thing Straight Out Of Hell really gets right is opening on a strong note. It didn't take long for this album to get my head moving with the heavy, speedy Nabatea. This is a well put together, high energy opener with some powerful vocal deliveries and a nice melodic slow down to add a little extra depth. Moving on from Nabataea though, the band makes it clear this album has more to offer Deris era fans than just a killer opener. Throughout this album Helloween seems to find just the right balance between heaviness, catchiness, and the 'happy' moments that have kind of defined the band's career. As a whole, Straight Out Of Hell just seems very energized and a strong showing of songwriting from the band. I found myself enjoying most songs enough where they were at least considered as a highlight. There are plenty of good melodies to latch onto and Deris delivers in a big way. Even the cliche ballad Hold Me In Your Arms has a pretty good sound and the band pulls it off. I think the only track that could have been left on the cutting room floor is Wanna Be God which is basically just a pointless bunch of chanting. I guess this was just supposed to be a lead in to the title track potentially, but it seems like a waste of space. I can forgive the band two non-awesome minutes though I suppose. All in all, this is a band sounding their best.

What's not to like here? Not a damn thing. This could seriously be a guide on how to do power metal of some kind. Nice energy and melodies can be found throughout Straight Out of Hell and the songwriting is top notch. Always good to see a classic band making good. Nicely done boys. I seriously think this may be my new favorite Helloween album.

Highlights: Nabataea, Waiting For The Thunder, Live Now!, Far From The Stars, Straight Out Of Hell

Rating - 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. I haven't picked up a new Helloween album in many years. May have to get this one.

    ReplyDelete