Sunday, January 20, 2013

Giant X - I

Heavy Metal/Hard Rock
Steamhammer/SPV
2013








1. The Rise Of Giant X (Intro)
2. On A Blind Flight
3. Don't Quit Till Tomorrow
4. Badland Blues
5. Now Or Never
6. Nameless Heroes
7. Go 4 It
8. The Count
9. Rough Ride
10. Friendly Fire
11. Let's Dance
12. Soulsurvivors
13. R.O.C.K.

It's hard to blame Rolf Kasparek of Running Wild for wanting to branch out a bit. After doing the Pirate shtick for so many damn years it's gotta grow a little old feeling like you Have to write albums in that general theme. That being said, I love Running Wild and Rolf's last side band Toxic Taste was a total abortion. Considering how well Rolf's last side band went I had to go in skeptical. At least he handles the vocal duties on this one though so I could expect those to be good.

To start things off, On A Blind Fight is exactly what I like hearing from Rolf Kasparek. Speedy and powerful, this one could be a Running Wild song. It does leave one wondering why this even needs to be another band, but the band clears that up pretty quickly with sleaze rockers like Don't Quit Till Tomorrow and Badland Blues. Basically, from here on out this is retro rock and doesn't do a thing for me. This kinda material reminds me of Sinner's more recent albums and is at least as bad. Retro rock inspiration can work, but there's a fine line between retro and just an uninspired throwback. This falls on the later side of that line. I didn't really need to hear Rolf Kasparek doing a glam metal/rock ballad like Nameless Heroes. A lot of this is honestly pretty terrible. The Count in particular left me scratching my head. It sounds like a rock song done by The Count from Sesame Street. Seriously, the theme of the song is fucking counting. Thanks for spelling out R.O.C.K for me too guys. I should also mention that the only thing Lets Dance got moving is the tacos in my stomach that I ate earlier. Some seriously bad songs here.

Sorry Rolf, but I think if you want a successful band you're stuck with Running Wild. This is boring at best and annoying at worst. Rolf is no doubt one of the legends of power/speed metal... but yeah... maybe stick to that.

Highlights: On A Blind Fight

Rating - 1.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment