Saturday, October 13, 2012

Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned

Stoner Metal
Candlelight Records
2012






1. Red Tide Rising
2. Stand For Something
3. Acid Trial
4. The Filthy & The Few
5. Save Me From Myself
6. The Fog
7. Return To Mars
8. Death Of Aquarius
9. The Bishops Wolf
10. A Eulogy For The Damned

Orange Goblin are a band I've always liked. Nothing to reinvent the wheel, but pretty damn fun music when you're in the mood for it. Tends to be how I feel about Stoner metal in general with it's somewhat familiar blues based grooves. Catchy stuff that's good for hanging out, drinking, and... well you know.

Listening to A Eulogy For The Damned I pretty much get what I came for and what I expected. In terms of sound this is upbeat and rocking for the most part with a good groove sound and gravelly vocals that suit the music. Basically, this album delivers it's sound without a lot of frills, but plenty of good rocking energy and a cool vibe to it.

In terms of songs this one just keeps coming though as the catchiness factory is extremely high. I find myself enjoying this album more than anything they've done since Coup De Grace, the album that got me into the band back in my college radio days. The grooves here are just massive and make my head want to move. Kind of the epitome of just doing your sound well.

With a retro based sort of sound like this you can't really expect the album/band to reinvent the wheel, but the same could be said of the typical happy power band. All in all, this album succeeds at exactly what it aims for. Fun, catchy, heavy music to groove to. Eulogy For The Damned is a pretty solid release and sure to please fans of the band and genre. This album doesn't quite wow me on that next level, so to speak, but it is an enjoyable listen from start to finish.

Highlights: The Filthy & The Few, Red Tide Rising, Stand For Something

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment