Saturday, October 13, 2012

OverKill - The Electric Age

Thrash Metal
Nuclear Blast
2012






1. Come And Get It
2. Electric Rattlesnake
3. Wish You Were Dead
4. Black Daze
5. Save Yourself
6. Drop The Hammer Down
7. 21st Century Man
8. Old Wounds, New Scars
9. All Over But The Shouting
10. Goodnight

OverKill have always been among my favorite bands. These guys just have a special place with me as one of the best in thrash metal and also one of the few to not flake on the genre. OverKill have been pretty consistently churning out good thrash metal albums for a long time now and I always look forward to another. I know some people prefer their more classic material or don't like the groove era stuff, but I'm not one of them. They did hit a bit of a rough patch, in my opinion, with ReliXIV and Immortalis, but that didn't last. Ironbound was their best, and least groove oriented, thrash metal album in a long time. As I said, I like their more groove oriented thrash as well, but I can't say I didn't appreciate the old school shredding that Ironbound brought back to the band.

On The Electric Age the old school vibe and energy seems to be here to stay which is good by me. Kinda nice to hear a band like this revisiting their roots and doing it well. It was about time I think and the band pulls it off again in fine fashion. Electric Age is a pretty unrelenting album that is just built for headbanging. I'm not sure any song here hits me Quite as hard as The Green And Black or Ironbound in terms of catchiness, but this is well above par from start to finish. Not quite as strong at the top, but just as good from start to finish as Ironbound and it even has More songs I'd consider highlights. It was hard for me to par down the list and ended up giving this one 5 highlight tracks.

I have not a doubt in my mind that all but the most jaded old school thrash fans will enjoy this and it might even grab a few of the more cynical. Certainly, OverKill is sounding a lot more like their 80s/early 90s incarnation than the Mid 90s/2000s version. Gotta hand it to OverKill for giving the fans pretty well exactly what they want and still thrashing.

Highlights: Electric Rattlesnake, All Over But The Shouting, Goodnight, Drop The Hammer Down, Come And Get It

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment