Saturday, October 13, 2012

Mercury Tide - Killing Saw

Atmospheric Power Metal
Limited Access
2012






1. In The Shame Of Trust (Intro)
2. Killing Saw
3. Home
4. Searching
5. World Of Pain
6. Lord Of Memories
7. Out Of The Darkness
8. Alone In My Room
9. Satan Sister
10. You Cannot Save Me
11. No More Pain
12. Have No Fear

New Mercury Tide is sort of an album that I've been waiting for for awhile now. I say sort of because what I really want is I have to admit that what I Really want is new Angel Dust. That being said, I do love Dirk Thurisch's voice and the first Mercury Tide album was pretty good.

Looking at the lineup for this release though, this might as well have been called Dirk Thurisch. Originally, this was a sort of collaboration with members from Flowing Tears and Tiamat, but none of those guys or the original keyboardist are present. Basically, this a whole new band other than Dirk.

Unfortunately, this new band and new Mercury Tide doesn't really come close to living up to Angel Dust or even the first Mercury Tide. After a long wait this just isn't very satisfying and comes across as pretty lifeless. The vocal melodies don't seem half as strong, there's nothing very exciting going on in the mid-paced and none too imaginative guitar, and the minimized keyboards don't add much. This is just a very typical melodic rock meets power metal style without the memorable hooks and melodies to hold up this sort of album. I'm fine with a basic melodic rock-ish album if it has the songs, but this one really doesn't. This is just poor man's Angel Dust and after this many years absent I expected a lot more. Dirk and the music just sound so damn lacking in passion and power here. This release just could not hold my attention.

In the end Killing Saw, is a pretty disappointing album. I'd love to say this is great and the powerful voice of Dirk Thurisch screams back into metal, but none of that happens on this one. This is probably only worth listening to for Serious Angel Dust fans and even then it will likely not be that fulfilling.

Highlights: Home, Killing Saw

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment