Saturday, October 13, 2012

Manowar - The Lord Of Steel

Traditional/Power Metal
Magic Circle
2012






1. The Lord Of Steel
2. Manowarriors
3. Born In A Grave
4. Righteous Glory
5. Touch The Sky
6. Black List
7. Expendable
8. El Gringo
9. Annihilation
10. Hail, Kill, And Die

If I ever need an example of how self important, ridiculous, and over the top a metal band is Capable of becoming, Manowar is there like a barbarian in shining loin cloth. I'd have to count this band among those I've never really been able to get into. I like epic shit, but these guys take it beyond the level of ridiculous at times. Beyond that though, they're a band who I've liked songs by, but never really albums. I guess between writing this and a Sonata Arctica review it's sort of a theme.

That being said, there are some positives I can say about The Lord Of Steel right away. For one, half the album isn't fucking interludes like Gods Of War. That alone is a Huge improvement from the last album. Secondly, things seem a lot more direct and heavy here. Manowar seems to really get back to making over the top but Traditional metal here. The Lord Of Steel is just much more grounded in their classic sound and not over the top orchestration. The lyrics are cheesy of course, but the music less so and I don't get the same overblown pompousness. There's nothing to break new ground or really make this remarkable, but it's not bad for what it is.

I still don't find Manowar all that amazing, but objectively I can see a lot more of what Manowar fans want here than on Gods Of War. I mean this is at least made up of traditional metal songs and not overly indulgent, bloated classical wannabe bullshit. I mean that is something right? I don't dislike this album and that's already a huge improvement from the 0.5/5 I rated Gods Of War. Maybe Manowar has gotten the message... maybe. The Lord Of Steel isn't something I'd say is hugely creative, but it is a band re-finding something closer to their classic sound. In terms of creativity though all you have to do is look at the title Hail, Kill, And Die and that about sums it up.

In the end this is a halfway decent straight up traditional metal album with warrior themes and that's what Manowar is at their best doing. I think fans will at least find this worth their time and that's something. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this to those who like Manowar's classic albums. Not a rave review, but at least the band isn't making shit like Gods Of War again.

Highlights: The Lord Of Steel, Manowarriors

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment