Saturday, October 13, 2012

In The Silence - A Fair Dream Gone Mad

Progressive Metal
Independent
2012






1. Ever Closer
2. 17 Shades
3. Serenity
4. Beneath These Falling Leaves
5. Close To Me
6. Endless Sea
7. All The Pieces
8. Your Reward

In The Silence are just another one of those random bands I decided to check out as I cruised new stuff. Don't hear new good bands if you don't look for em right? After a little sample listening I decided I liked these guys' sound enough to give em a shot.

In The Silence are a new progressive outfit out of California that fall into the more atmospheric school of progressive. One of the first things that grabbed my personal attention was that I actually heard a fair amount of Pink Floyd in their sound. Seeing as they're one of my favorite non-metal acts it gave me reason to look a bit deeper.

Listening to A Fair Dream Gone Mad I just love the smooth atmospheres of this and how the songs incorporate metal/heavy guitar into their sound. It's quite a nice blend and they manage it well, neither getting too soft or too heavy, but rather using the heavy guitar to enhance the atmosphere. It's not an easy balance to strike in music like this and In The Silence just pull it off in fine form. There are parts of this that get pretty heavy, but you never really lose the atmospheric soundscape this album creates. This is something I could relax to and enjoy the melodies while still feeling like I'm getting my metal fix. Don't expect the music to be heavy all the time, but it has enough of it to keep my metal side interested. I'm reminded of Amorphis around the Tounela/Am Universum era a bit as well as Katatonia. Really though, metal Pink Floyd is totally what I'm hearing from A Fair Dream Gone Mad and from me that's a fairly high compliment.

If you like your progressive stuff dripping with atmosphere and melody than this is pretty top notch stuff. If atmospheric metal is at all your thing I'd say check out In The Silence. I left this listening experience impressed and I think you will too.

Highlights: Serenity, 17 Shades, Endless Sea, Ever Closer

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment