Saturday, October 13, 2012

Huntress - Spell Eater

Heavy Metal
Napalm Records
2012






1. Spell Eater
2. Senecide
3. Sleep And Death
4. Snow Witch
5. Eight Of Swords
6. Aradia
7. Night Rape
8. Children
9. Terror
10. The Tower
11. The Dark

Huntress are a band who really caught my attention when they put out a rather great single in Eight Of Swords. The music, the intensity of the vocals, and the music video's imagery were all well done so I was looking forward to this one. Then I saw the band living on Paganfest USA and they came off even better live.

Now that I've got the album and have listened to it, I can say the album is a pretty good listen. I like the straight up metalness of it and the heavy occult feel. Pretty raw and aggressive stuff here and definitely not your typical female fronted fare. That being said, I do find that some of the songs in terms of guitar are a bit simple and none of the material comes off as being as energetic as Eight Of Swords. At times the riffs just seem a little pedestrian and straight forward to a fault. I can say this is a pretty good debut, but it does sound like a debut from a bunch of musicians who haven't quite matured.

In the end I'd classify Huntress as a pretty good addition to the metal scene and worth watching, but in some ways they're not quite there yet. Time will tell if the band brings their songwriting to that next level and we here a bit more in terms of riffs to support them. Right now the strength of the band is more the wild vocals of Jill Janus. I'd say if you like stuff like King Diamond this might not be a bad listen. Not as falsetto in the vocal performance, etc, but I'm reminded of him musically and in terms of theme. At times I do get a bit of Metal Church around The Dark as well. Worth checking out if you like your metal stripped down, straight forward, and with themes of darkness and witchcraft. This one just fell a bit short of my expectations of it. Huntress also struck me as being a bit better live than recorded.

Highlights: Eight Of Swords, Spell Eater, Children

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment