Saturday, October 13, 2012

Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline

Atmospheric/Gothic/Alternative Metal
Century Media

2012






1. Trip The Darkness
2. Against You
3. Kill The Light
4. Give Me Something More
5. Upsidedown
6. End Of Time
7. I Don't Believe In Tomorrow
8. Intoxicated
9. The Army Inside
10. Losing My Religion (REM Cover)
11. Fire
12. My Spirit

Lacuna Coil are sort of an odd band in my listening. They have undoubtedly become much more commercial in sound since attaining some popularity. At the same time Cristina Scabbia still has a great voice and the band does have a good knack for smooth melodies. It's like I can't help but like them even if they're not quite as good/metal as they used to be. They still manage to make some good songs, even if their best and most metal sounding days are behind them.

Well, there's no real way around it so I'm just going to say it... this does sound pretty nu/commercial rock. The production, guitar sound, chuggy guitar riffs, etc are all there. If this band wasn't rooted in coming from a metal background this probably isn't something I'd be writing a review for. This is not at all a leap from a band like Evanescence at this point.

That being said, this album does have a good catchyness to it and the vocal deliveries are strong. There's some good feeling/emotion to be found in songs like End Of Time as well which sounds genuine and powerful. The album also boasts a rather great cover of REM's Losing My Religion. I love their take on this one. All in all, I find it a good listen for what it is. Their older, metal material this is not, but if you can get around/past that then I do think the songs are good. The album has a good upbeat energy... just delivered in a very radio friendly way.

I guess all I can say is that if you've hung with the band this long you've probably accepted this incarnation of Lacuna Coil and you'll probably still like this. Good songs are good songs and I think this has em. That's pretty much my piece. It's not a perfect album and I'd love them to have more of their old sound, but I've also kind of accepted the newer version. Metal? That's debatable. Good? I have no real debate with that. I'd say Dark Adrenaline is their best release since they did go more mainstream. I think the only thing that holds my rating back just a hair is the fact I miss the perfect fusion of good production and metal that was Comalies.

Highlights: Kill The Light, Losing My Religon, Trip The Darkness, End Of Time

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment