Friday, October 5, 2012

Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth

Heavy Metal
AFM
2010






1. Hammer of the Gods
2. The Revengeful
3. Rebel Spirits
4. Black Candy
5. On a Wicked Night
6. Deth Red Moon
7. Ju Ju Bone
8. Night Star Hel
9. Pyre of Souls: Infanticle
10. Pyre of Souls: Seasons of Pain
11. Left Hand Rise Above

It's been a good long time since I expected much of anything out of Danzig. Really if it wasn't for the fact I like to review the sort of 'big' metal releases, I likely would not have even bothered. There was a time when I loved his releases (1-3 especially), but that was quite some time ago.

Well, I have to say that I was pretty surprised when I heard this album. it seems finally Danzig has decided to revisit his routes a bit and get away from the more modern to industrial metal sound he picked up along the way. Deth Red Sabaoth does sound much more traditional with the blues-rock wails of Danzig back in full effect (or close to). I can't say his voice hasn't lost anything, but this should be a reminder as to why Danzig was once great, even if he may be a little past his prime. More of a problem then a little age showing in his voice is the production of this album though which sounds very dirty and doesn't work too well. The sound here is definitely not great. There are actually some good cuts here though in a style I've been wishing he'd rediscover, if you can get past the production job. Songs like The Revengeful, Rebel Spirits, On A Wicked Night, Deth Red Moon, and Left Hand Rise Above are all above average cuts with a nice, blues rock swagger that has a familiar catchiness and power to it.

Certainly, this is a lot better than Danzig has been doing for awhile and there's something to be said for that. This is a classic act revisiting it's roots and while the album is not without flaw, it is an improvement. Really I think the songs at times are really solid. It's just a little hard to get past the sound of the album at times. I bet some of these tracks will make good live additions though and it's still pretty enjoyable.

Highlights: The Revengeful, Rebel Spirits, On A Wicked Night

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment