Friday, October 5, 2012

Dream Evil - In The Night

Power Metal
Century Media
2010






1. Immortal
2. In The Night
3. Bang Your Head
4. See The Light
5. Electric
6. Frostbite
7. On The Wind
8. The Ballad
9. In The Fires Of The Sun
10. Mean Machine
11. Kill, Burn, Be Evil
12. The Unchosen One

In The Night marks Dream Evil's 5th album and their first effort in 4 years. Bit of a break between this one and the last album, United, which I enjoyed. I wouldn't count Dream Evil as one of my favorites or anything, but they've been catchy and amusing at times with ridiculous anthems like The Book Of Heavy Metal.

On this one I can't help but sense a whiff of irony. Dream Evil have largely embraced metal cliches and made fun of them to an amusing end, but on this album I feel like they've become what they were initially parodying. Certainly, they still try to poke fun with songs like The Ballad and Kill, Burn, Be Evil, but in reality this sounds Too much like generic power metal to my ears. Really aside from some silly lyrics this could easily be placed in the realm of typical and the songs nor the style stand out to any great degree. I feel like the band has kinda gotten lost in mimicry. There are a few decent melodic tunes like See The Light and Electric which have a good flow, but nothing too revolutionary, anthemic, or even funny.

In the end, Dream Evil may have outlived their purpose and their noteworthiness. I just don't get a lot of good songwriting, amusing parody, or really anything from this album. The best I could do is recommend this to fans of melodic power metal if you're really hard up for something new, but this isn't remarkable by any means.

Highlights: See The Light, Electric

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment