Friday, October 5, 2012

Charred Walls Of The Damned - Charred Walls Of The Damned

Power/Thrash Metal
Metal Blade
2010






1. Ghost Town
2. From The Abyss
3. Creating Our Machine
4. Blood on Wood
5. In A World So Cruel
6. Manifestations
7. Voices Within The Walls
8. The Darkest Eyes
9. Fear In The Sky

Charred Walls Of The Damned's debut isn't really an album I went in expecting much of to be totally honest. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Tim Owens' voice or the music he's been involved with, frequently because it hasn't seemed to suit him or he extends himself beyond his comfort range. Why did I check this out then? For one thing I always check out debut albums to see if they're worth reviewing/giving what little exposure I can and for another thing... well, the review could be amusing to write.

Alas, this album is lacking in things for me to rip on! I'm as shocked as you are. Especially considering some of the brutal reviews I've read for this album already complaining that it's too commercial, metalcore, etc. Honestly, I do not know what people are complaining about. Ok the production is a little, and I do mean a Little, commercial as the producer has worked with metalcore acts and the like, but the music really doesn't strike me as such. There are some smooth melodies here, but they actually work pretty well and remind me much more of a power/thrash blend then anything resembling a commercial style. I don't know why anyone who like the Iced Earth sorta sound couldn't get into this. To me it sounds more fitting then him trying to be slammed into the Iced Earth sound forcefully. This is really similar to some of what Owens has done in the past, but much more suiting imo and the songs and sound of the band just fit the vocals. Best of all when the more melodic moments hit, Tim actually remains in a somewhat aggressive mold and does not try to be overly emotive or soft for the most part. At least the music doesn't get too sappy/ballady for his vocal capabilities.

What's this? Praise for a Tim Owens project? You betcha. In fact he should absolutely stick with this band and I'd like to hear more of what they can do. The music is pretty solid with memorable melodies and a pretty attacking guitar approach. Nothing wrong with the formula here and some good stand outs make themselves known. The only criticism I can come up with really is that the best tracks hit early, but that is more of a minor nitpick. The rest of the album is pretty good too. If you like power/thrash with a good clear & clean production job and some well delivered screams then this is pretty satisfying stuff in my opinion. Kinda the album I've been waiting for Tim Owens to make since his time in Winters Bane.

Highlights: Ghost Town, From The Abyss, Creating Our Machine

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment