Saturday, October 13, 2012

Blaze Bayley - The King Of Metal

Heavy Metal
Blaze Bayley Recordings

2012






1. The King Of Metal
2. Dimebag
3. The Black Country
4. The Rainbow Fades To Black
5. Fate
6. One More Step
7. Fighter
8. Judge Me
9. Difficult
10. Beginning

Well, I gotta start this one off by acknowledging the elephant in the room. The King Of Metal? Holy pretentious title batman. Who does he think he is? A member of Manowar?

Moving on... I have a weird listening relationship with Blaze Bayley. I didn't really like him in Iron Maiden nor Wolfsbane and yet I have liked his solo/Blaze albums. That being said, I also didn't think the last album was anything special. Not really sure what to make of this one going in, but considering how much I did like The Man Who Would Not Die it was at least worth a listen and a review.

I'm just going to come out and say it here. This album is a total mess. This sounds like self produced, amateur garbage from the start. The muddy sound hits you first and then the poorly matched music and vocals. Frankly, this is a train wreck and it's hard to listen to in more ways than one. I actually felt something from this album that I don't normally get from an album... Pity. Absolute pity. This is an album that actually makes me feel bad for Blaze listening to it. From the lyrics, the fact this was basically a self released album, and the parody of a title that is The King Of Metal I just feel bad for the guy. I know that Blaze Bayley lost his wife not too long ago and I wouldn't even normally mention such a thing, but I can't help but think after listening to this album that the man is just not in his right state of mind. It sounds like he's trying to fight through something with his writing and it's Rough. Listening to him yelling over the piano in raw and unstructured emotion is just painful. Fate is one of the few songs here that seems to have it all together and the best that one has to offer is a familiar sound from his past.

You ever see one of those VH1 behind the music specials where a band/member hits their low point? Well, this album is kinda like listening to one. I was actually depressed by this album. It's such a mess that I honestly just hope the guy is ok and can rebound. The King Of Metal sounds like an artist just starting off in a garage... not an established one. Not constantly changing band members could probably be a start.

Highlights: Fate

Rating - 1.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment