Friday, September 28, 2012

Warrel Dane - Praises To The War Machine

Gothic/Groove Metal
Century Media
2008






1. When We Pray
2. Messenger
3. Obey
4. Lucretia My Reflection (Sisters Of Mercy cover)
5. Let You Down
6. August
7. Your Chosen Misery
8. The Day The Rats Went to War
9. Brother
10. Patterns (Paul Simon cover)
11. This Old Man
12. Equilibrium

It's no secret that Nevermore is my favorite band and I am in love with the originality of their sound so it should be no surprise I was anticipating the release of this one. Warrel Dane seems to be one of those love or hate voices, but you can chalk me up in the love column so anything with his voice laid to it has my immediate attention. The question of course laid in what sort of sound this would be and if Peter Wichers could supply some good music for Warrel.

The answer I'm afraid is that the music is pretty lackluster, but really... most should've seen this one coming. Did any Nevermore fan really think Peter Wichers could match the talent of a writer and player like Jeff Loomis? What we have here is mostly very simply chug chug guitar in a vaguely familiar energized goth rock mode with some slightly modern touches. I could sum up this album easily by simply saying Wichers is a mediocre writer supplying mediocre music and the only real highlights come from Warrel himself or songs that Wichers didn't write. Honestly, my favorite song on this album is a COVER (Lucretia My Reflection).

Now let me say that this is not a Bad album in that some of the songs work alright, but after hearing dark atmospheres and emotion done far better in Nevermore with technical guitar to keep one headbanging... I can't get that excited here. The end result is a bit of a tide over until I get something better from Nevermore and the album leaves me wondering why Warrel chose to partner with Wichers.

Highlights: Lucretia My Reflection, August

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment