Saturday, September 22, 2012

Markus Grosskopf's Bass Invaders - Hellbassbeaters

Bass & Drum Metal
Frontiers
2008






1. Awakening The Bass Machine
2. We Live
3. Armageddon
4. Romance In Black
5. Godless Gods
6. Empty Memories
7. Boiling Blood
8. Far Too Late
9. The Asshole Song
10. Dead From The Eyes Down
11. Razorblade Romance
12. Voices
13. Eagles Fly Free
14. To Hell And Back

Well here it is... a metal album of bass guitar on lead. An interesting concept and I am a fairly large fan of good bass playing so the list of bassists on board did get my attention. The list would be too long and unnecessary to list here but let's just say this album does have an impressive array of metal talent.

You may be thinking right now this is a gimmick and you'd pretty much be right on that one. After listening to this one repeatedly I've pretty much settled on the fact this album is interesting, but I doubt many people are going to find this as a regular play in their rotations. To state the painfully obvious... a metal band of just bass & drums kinda sounds like it's missing something. I guess this album just gets old for me quickly. The only tracks I find that interesting and that do stick with me tend to be the tracks sung by Peavy Wagner of Rage which is unsurprising to me as I just love his vocal melodies. Romance In Black would be the highlight of the album for me as the bass sound on that one actually works pretty well. Between Peavy's emotion and the fact the bass is minimalistic it comes off as more of a vocal track and Peavy is able to hold that up on his own. Most of the other tracks fair less well.

Basically, it might be interesting to hear all these bassists work together and to hear what metal driven by soley bass sounds like, but I don't think you're going to be converted at the end of the day.

Highlights: Romance In Black, Far Too Late

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment