Saturday, September 22, 2012

Marshall Law - Razorhead

Power/Traditional Metal
Neat Metal Records
2008






1. The Summoning
2. Razorhead
3. Premonition
4. Headtrap
5. Gods Of Deception
6. Night Terror
7. The Chamber
8. Divides Us
9. Nothing Lasts Forever
10. Devil's Anvil
11. Blood And Pain
12. Another Bullet
13. Bloodlines
14. Hell On Earth
15. Necromancer

Marshall Law are one of those 80s Priest inspired bands, of which there were a fair number, and not one I ever much paid attention to. I've heard their other albums and thought they were decent but really that's about all. The only reason I'm really reviewing this one is because of insistent recommendations. Needless to say, my expectations are on the low end, but you never can tell who might surprise you.

Apparently, Marshall Law is intent on following Judas Priest every step of the way, including missteps as this album hits me immediately with downtuning and the Razorhead who reminds me strangely of something called the Jugulator. Dumb lyrics and poor attempts at modernization and "heaviness" do not impress me at all here as the guitar just chugs it's way forward with some speed but little substance. Premonition is similar, albeit with some guitar variation, but another thing that drags these tracks down for me which makes itself apparent here is the choruses which have no force behind them. These melodic, restrained choruses do nothing for me and I'd expect something more belted out for these kinds of songs.

Moving on, we also have songs like Head Trap which is the height of braindead, modernized groove metal as it chugs along to slowly to another song of much the same vein in the form of Gods of Deception. Really that about sums up the album and from that point on you can expect much of the same. Fairly poor attempts at modernized speed metal and boring 90s style groove metal tracks.

Maybe this isn't quite as juvenile as Jugulator or the worst thing I've ever heard, but really... have we learned nothing? One Jugulator is quite enough for my tastes and Marshall Law continues to dwell in a large shadow from which I don't think they deserve to escape. If you like this sort of sound maybe you'll find more here than I could, but personally I'll pass. Amusingly enough though, I will give this around the same grade as the new Priest who have been less than satisfying as well. At least they had a great era however.

Highlights: Premonition

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment