Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gamma Ray - Majestic

Power Metal
Metal Is
2005






1. My Temple
2. Fight
3. Strange World
4. Hell Is Thy Home
5. Blood Religion
6. Condemned To Hell
7. Spiritual Dictator
8. Majesty
9. How Long
10. Revelation

Gamma Ray... I've heard a lot of ranting about how they're the best power metal band, etc, etc but I've never really bought into that. Still, I liked No World Order well enough so I was curious about this one. NWO had a more traditional feel then their other speed by numbers stuff so I was hoping for more of the same. The last release just had a lot more attitude then their other stuff I guess you could say.

Well I listened to this one a few times through and I liked it less each time. At first I thought it was ok, but by the 4th time through I found my mind drifting. In a word this album is BORING and lacking any sort of real energy. To me Majestic just comes off as stale and artificial sounding. Half of the tracks are speedy and half mid-paced with the same big, uninventive choruses. They do have a 'majestic' quality I suppose, but few of them stick with me in the end.

This album DOES have the Gamma Ray trademark sound so I can see at least some fans being happy with it, but it does nothing for me. Ever since Kai took over vocals this band seems to be in a rut and I was hoping NWO marked a shift to trying something a bit different, but it was short lived. All of this album blends together in the riff & songwriting department and Kai isn't exactly a versatile singer so in the end I'd call this release utterly forgettable. I know as soon as I post this I'll be mobbed by the Kai fanboy squad but there you have it... totally average. So many albums released this year I'd rather listen to... nevermind overall.

Highlights: Fight, Strange World

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment