Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Godiva - Call Me Under 666

Power Metal
Limb
2005






1. Headache Machine (Intro)
2. Hellraiser
3. Call Me Under
4. My Fate
5. When Lightning Strikes
6. Only Heaven Knows
7. The Flight of the Dragon
8. Maneater
9. Proud to Be A Beast
10. Soulkiller
11. Free My Soul

A young power metal band, Godiva, just recently turned some heads with their debut album in 2003 and now they're back with their sophmore effort. The debut garnered a fair amount of critical praise for a power debut so now it's time for the test of the second release to see if they have the potential for staying power.

After listening to this album, I have to say that I don't think Godiva is going anywhere. This basically continues in the same vein as the debut. Godiva's sound isn't entirely original as it reminds me a lot of Saxon's more recent material in song structure, sound, and vocals but I think the reason it doesn't bother me is because this sound hasn't been overkilled yet. You see a lot of Priest and Maiden worship, but Saxon worship is a somewhat new one. I can't say I've heard a lot of Biff Byford sounding singers around.

The main thing here is Godiva just suceeds on the songwriting level. These are true fist pumping metal anthems that just make you want to headbang. The sound is good and the songs rock so what more can you really ask for? If you're into traditional 80s metal, power metal, and especially Saxon then you should dig this.

Highlights: When Lightning Strikes, Call Me Under 666, Soulkiller

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment