Saturday, September 15, 2012

Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse

Progressive/Power
Inside Out
2006






1. Monday Morning Apocalypse
2. Unspeakable
3. Lost
4. Obedience
5. The Curtain Fall
6. In Remembrance
7. At Loss For Words
8. Till Dagmar
9. Still In The Water
10. The Dark I Walk You Through
11. I Should
12. Closure

Evergrey really lost me with the last album, Inner Circle and I was hoping for a rebound out of this one going in. My hopes for this album were somewhat diminished though by the samples as they largely featured lackluster, restrained vocals and some vocal distortion coupled with chugging riffs. After listening to it in it's entirely though, those songs were not the best choices to represent this album.

The vocals on this album are a 180 improvement from Inner Circle back to Recreation Day as they're very dramatic and powerful. Really It's Englund that makes this album have the atmosphere I like out of the band and the slower moments with acoustic sounding guitar are the best parts of the album. The problem I have with this one is that the constant chug riffing is very repetitive and dull in the heavier moments. Englund keeps things interesting for me despite those, but I can't help but notice the heavier moments of this album are pretty uninspired. Still, as a total experience the slower moments and vocals drive this along and make the songs fairly memorable and an enjoyable listening experience. Some more lead work certainly wouldn't hurt though.

If you liked Recreation Day's dramatic/atmospheric approach then you'll probably like this one too I'd think. At the very least I'd think you'd like it better than the strained vocals and boring songwriting of Inner Circle. Recommended to people who likes modern chuggy riffs and clear soaring, maybe a little overly dramatic vocals.

Highlights: Lost, Unspeakable

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment