Saturday, September 22, 2012

Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus

Power Metal
Nuclear Blast
2008






1. Ministry Of Saints
2. Sex Fire Religion
3. The Pride Of Creation
4. Nine Lives
5. Wake Up Dreaming Black
6. Dragonfly
7. Thorn Without A Rose
8. 929
9. Speedhoven
10. Dead Or Rock
11. Aren't You A Little Pervert Too

There was a time when I'd have been really looking forward to a new Edguy album and considered them among the top power metal bands out there. However, after the glammed up piece of goofy trash that was Rocket Ride and the poppy disaster that was the last Avantasia I can't say I went into this one with a great deal of enthusiasm.

Well I'm not gonna waste any time here in telling you this album sucks. It may not be as ridiculous as Rocket Ride, but it's a far cry from Mandrake or Hellfire Club. The album starts off alright with the single Ministry of Saints which while not remarkably memorable does boast some nice heaviness at times. From there it's pretty much all downhill though with a series of songs that either bore or irritate me.

Sex, Fire, Religion would make for a good sleep aid but little else with it's slow roll and half heartedly chanted chorus. It's kind of like The Piper Never Dies if it completely blew. Other tracks like 929 and Thorn Without A Rose don't raise the fist, but I do feel something else rising from my stomach. Seriously, Edguy's done some sappy songs in the past I know, but on an album without many standouts these pop fluff tracks leave a real bad taste. The list of grievances isn't quite over yet though as I still need to mention the likes of Speedhoven and The Pride Of Creation which are so over the top it's painful. This is more of that Judas At The Opera sort of stuff that made me gag on the last one. I love epic tunes done right, but a song as sugary sweet as The Pride Of Creation is not what I'm looking for.

Finally, to close out this laundry list I just have to say the only way the other tracks are really worthy of mentioning is pointing them out as unmemorable filler. Not necessarily terrible, but with a number of songs I flat don't like and the rest that don't really leave an impression I won't be feeling the need to revisit this anytime soon.

Tinnitus Sanctus may be a step up from Rocket Ride, but it's a small one and the band certainly hasn't made it's way back to a mold I like it in. I'm still hoping for some good Edguy in the future, but I'm sure not going to be holding my breath.

Highlights: Ministry Of Saints

Rating - 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment