Saturday, September 22, 2012

Evergrey - Torn

Power/Progressive
SPV
2008






1. Broken Wings
2. Soaked
3. Fear
4. When Kingdoms Fall
5. In Confidence
6. Fail
7. Numb
8. Torn
9. Nothing Is Erased
10. Still Walk Alone
11. These Scars

To be perfectly honest from the start, Evergrey is a name I haven't cared about in like 5 years. Ever since Recreation Day this band has been on a total downslide for me as I haven't enjoyed much of anything on the past couple releases. Neither of them seemed to have the same dramatic touch that Tom Englund can bring to the band when he is on. At times on The Inner Circle and Monday Morning Apocalypse I simply felt his performances sounded phoned in or flat out bad with some noticeable straining of his voice. To me a large part of the memorability of this band can be found in the vocal melodies and choruses and without good ones the atmosphere of the band just suffered.

I'm happy to say though that on Torn however Evergrey has seemingly rebounded in fine fashion and this album sounds like the logical follow up to Recreation Day that I've been waiting for. Englund once again finds his niche and those choruses will stick in your head and not let go. The music itself also seems to step up as the riffs have a lot of heaviness to them. Combined with the dramatic vocals this makes for a nice melodic album with a bit of a dark feel to it and just enough muscle. The formula hasn't changed drastically, it just seems like better all around performances from the band without those sour notes that dragged the songs under for me. I knew the band was capable and honestly I'm not sure what was happening over the past couple, but I'm glad to hear the sound of the band back in shape.

Basically, as I think I've stated, this is Evergrey in top form so if you like the band then this is a worthwhile listen. Evergrey have it within them to be towards the top of the heap of power/progressive if they can keep writing songs like this and keep pulling good performances from Englund.

Highlights: Broken Wings, Fear, Numb, Torn

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment