Saturday, September 15, 2012

Doro - Warrior Soul

Traditional/Melodic Metal
AFM
2006








1. You re My Family
2. Haunted Heart
3. Strangers Yesterday
4. Thunderspell
5. Warrior Soul
6. Heaven I See
7. Creep Into My Brain
8. Above The Ashes
9. My Majesty
10. In Liebe Und Freundschaft
11. Ungebrochen
12. Shine On

How metal of a title and cover art is this? 'Warrior Soul' and Doro standing in next to nothing with a big ass sword. I love it... and more importantly I love this fucking album. I've gotta say, this is the first one to Really grab me by the balls this year from the first listen. Some of the music within is almost as metal as the cover art.

First of all, I've liked all of Doro's solo stuff. Different than her Warlock career certainly in that a large number of ballads appeared and the music took on a more modern approach as of late but she's always had a great voice and addictive songs. What we have here though is an interesting and unexpected step back.

On this album, the guitar sounds much less thick and modern than the last couple and way more traditional. The heaviness is amped up on some songs to a point that's not been seen in Doro's solo material and truely could be placed on an album like Warlock - Triumph & Agony. There's still a good deal of ballads but even those have more of a guitar oriented approach and well placed melodic solos. The solos really add to the feel of this being a healthy step back and some of the songwriting is very anthemic 80s. Then you have the heavy songs which just rip along in the best 80s traditional manner. I shit you not when I say I think the song Haunted Hearts may be the best thing she's ever done in Doro OR Warlock. Also worthy of extreme praise are the traditional rockers, Thunderspell and My Majesty.

Overall, this album has an alternating feel of awesome traditional and, for the most part, more Metal ballads. This whole album just has a great arena rock energy to it that I am totally digging. In a way this really revisits Warlock at their peak. A pretty perfect fusion of what she was in Warlock and what she has been in her solo career.

Highlights: Haunted Hearts, Thunderspell, My Majesty, You're My Family

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment