Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny Of Souls

Power/Traditional
Sanctuary

2005








1. Mars Within (Intro)
2. Abduction
3. Soul Intruders
4. Kill Devil Hill
5. Navigate the Seas of the Sun
6. River of No Return
7. Power of the Sun
8. Devil on a Hog
9. Believil
10. A Tyranny of Souls

I think it's safe to say that never before in my life have I ever been in as much anticipation of an album before. With Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding being two of my favorite metal albums ever released and the long wait involved I was practically salivating when I heard this album was on the way. Certain doubts did enter my mind though I must admit. Questions like 'Will he be able to follow up two materpieces?' and 'Will he follow the same metal vein as the last two or will he decide to experiment again?'. Well no worries folks... this is pure metal and managed to meet my very high expectations.

Really the sound on Tyranny Of Souls has taken a small step back as this release has much more in common with Accident Of Birth than The Chemical Wedding. The sound here isn't the ultra thick Chemical sound, but rather similar to the kind of classic feel present in AoB. This is a pleasent suprise to me as I prefer the AoB sound and this album also has the somewhat varied feel from song to song present on that one. There's some upbeat metal rippers, some more mid-paced tracks, a good splash of atmosphere, and huge memorable choruses sung like only Bruce can. Also, the traditional Bruce ballad shows up once again in the form of Navigate The Seas Of The Sun and is fucking awesome like always. The man certainly has a knack for those sorts of tracks. Adrian Smith is absent from this album, but he was a very small part of the writing and Roy Z carries all the guitar on this album quite well.

Though I've compared this album to Accident Of Birth this album really has it's own quality and succeeds in being a great slice of metal without just repeating what's already been done. Everything Bruce said he wanted this album to be has come true and I am one satisfied metalhead right now. I'm not sure I like this album Quite as much as Accident and Chemical, but I can hardly complain. This album kicks ass from start to finish and is a suiting follow up to where he left off. Cheers Bruce and keep em coming. Don't forget your solo career!

Highlights: Navigate The Seas Of The Sun, Power Of The Sun, Abduction, Kill Devil Hill

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment