Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bloodbound - Nosferatu

Power Metal
Avalon

2005




1. Behind The Moon
2. Into The Dark
3. Nosferatu
4. Metal Monster
5. Crucified
6. Desdemonamelia
7. Fallen From Grace
8. Screams In The Night
9. For The King
10. Midnight Sun
11. On The Battlefield

The debut from Bloodbound comes in the wake of rather sad news I must say. The news I'm talking about being that Urban Breed and Tad Morose have parted ways. This band has little to do with that though as Urban was already recording with this band while Tad Morose was intact. Fans of Tad Morose may however be a bit puzzled upon hearing this as this is very different music for Urban.

Bloodbound's sound is best described as happy/uplifting sort of power metal with those soaring layered choruses. They're not extremely overblown though and remind me a bit of Rob Rock. The music also bears a certain similarity to his solo stuff combined with a frequent upbeat gallop that is very Iron Maiden. There are also some rather atmospheric parts which are similar to Maiden's more recent output... especially on the title track. Pretty damn solid sound that establishes an energetic, powerful feel. My only minor complaint here would be that the songs do tend to get a little formulatic.

One thing that I just have to mention in this review though as a sidenote is the rather absurd image that Bloodbound seems to have adopted. I've been puzzling over what this band was smoking when they decided on their album cover, lyrics, and band photos since I got this and I have to share my bewilderment. First off the this happy power metal band's album cover is the head of satan surrounded by flames... but it gets much, much better/weirder. When you get to the band photo they're all decked out in kvlt corpsepaint looking like they're about to sacrifice a goat or perhaps some small children. I'm not one to get hung up on image but you just don't normally see power metal bands running around in corpse paint trying to look evil as they sing tralalala sounding music.

Weirdness of image aside, this is a damn cool sounding album and I like it far more than I thought I would considering I'm a Tad Morose fan and like Urban singing darker sounding music. If you can appreciate this style and not compare it too much to Tad Morose then I think you should like it. Recommended to fans of upbeat happy power metal like Rob Rock.

Highlights: Behind The Moon, Nosferatu, Screams In The Night

Rating 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment