Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Allen/Lande - The Battle

Melodic/Power
Frontiers

2005






1. Another Battle
2. Hunter's Night
3. Wish For A Miracle
4. Reach A Little Longer
5. Come Alive
6. Truth Of Our Time
7. My Own Way
8. Ask You Anyway
9. Silent Rage
10. Where Have The Angels Gone
11. Universe Of Light
11. The Forgotten Ones

When I first heard that Russell Allen and Jorn Lande, two of the best vocalists in metal today, were going to team up for an album I have to say that I nearly creamed my pants. The thought of two such excellent voices coming together was probably the best idea I'd heard in some time. Later learning that Magnus Karlsson of Last Tribe/Starbreaker was the primary songwriter only served to make me anticipate this release even more as I like both of his bands and he seemed to fit the singers.

After listening to this album a few times I have to say that this album is good, but maybe not quite what I'd hoped for. I just get the feeling this could've been more than it is. The sound of The Battle is certainly a good brand of melodic power metal that reminds very much of Masterplan so no complaints on that. The singing is handled mostly as a trade off with them coming together on the choruses and that too is pretty seemless.

What holds this album back a bit from being better than it is you ask? Well for one thing the vocalist's full capabilities aren't really used here. This is especially true of Russell Allen who doesn't come off nearly as diverse as with his work in Symphony X. On this release he mostly sticks to his softer voice and you don't hear much of his more intense/heavier style. Really he comes off much like Jorn Lande and at times the two are kinda hard to distinguish from each other. Makes me wonder why this release needed both of them at all except for maybe the choral harmonizing. Another thing that irks me a little is the cheesiness of a few tracks. With lyrics like 'Just think happy thoughts. Close your eyes and wish for a miracle' I can't deny that my gag reflex acted up a few times.

Certainly not a bad release as I dig the sound and the vocals are well executed, but it just falls short of what could have been. If you like both vocalists though and smooth power like Masterplan's latest then you should find enough here to keep you happy. I definetely enjoy it overall. Just not without it's problems.

Highlights: Another Battle, My Own Way, Hunter's Night

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment