Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Dark Illusion - Beyond The Shadows

Traditional Metal
Battlefield Records

2005





1. Night Knight
2. Child of the Night
3. Warrior
4. Power of the Evil
5. Reaper of Souls
6. Into the Depths
7. Secret Journey
8. Weeper Deeper
9. Sensational Walk
10. Tragedy
11. Leave No Traces
12. Runaway on the Loose
13. Breake the Chains
14. Warlord of the Night

This one marks Dark Illusion's full length debut and my first experience with them. I have heard and enjoyed the vocals of Thomas Vikstrom in the past though as a short lived member of Candlemass.

Well the music here certainly doesn't resemble that band at all... not even the somewhat more direct power of Chapter VI. What we have on this album is a sort of traditional metal and hard rock crossover that reminds me very much of the band Riot. Even the vocals resemble a cross between DiMeo and Speranza as they have that clear power sound of Speranza but some of the melodic emotive feel of DiMeo. Dark Illusion just has the hard rocking energy that some early metal albums had and many newer bands lack. This is really a winning sound that is refreshing to hear as Dark Illusion rocks out while sounding metal and heavy. The guitar is infectious and well executed and the vocals are powerfully delivered. Anyone who likes the early traditional style that bordered on hard rock and/or Riot, early Jag Panzer, and early Judas Priest should get this immediately. This new band has honestly just impressed the hell out of me. I didn't have a chance to review them in 2005, but they made my top albums list so I figured I should give them a full write up before I fully move on to 2006 albums.

Highlights: Night Knight, Power Of The Evil, Warrior, Into The Depths I Stare

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment