Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Stream Of Passion - A War Of Our Own

Gothic/Atmospheric Metal
Self Released
2014










1. Monster
2. A War Of Our Own
3. The Curse
4. Autophoria
5. Burning Star
6. For You
7. Exile
8. Derlirio
9. Earthquake
10. Secrets
11. Don't Let Go
12. Out Of The Darkness

Stream Of Passion are one of those bands on the verge of being something. In the past I've liked them, but they also haven't Really managed to stand out in the rather large crowd of female fronted bands that draw on gothic/melodic atmosphere with symphonic touches. They've also strugged a bit to define exactly what they are between the minimalistic/violin heavy style of the first album and the more typical gothic second album. The third album meanwhile didn't do much for me in either regard. Basically, I wasn't really sure what I was going to get out of this album, but I did like the one song I'd heard from it in advance of it's release.

After listening to A War Of Our Own, I'm still kind of ambivalent on Stream Of Passion. Their sound and good vocals makes me want to like them and I do, but I don't quite love them. There's just not really a lot here to set the band apart in a crowded sort of style. Everything here sounds well executed and surprisingly well produced for a self released album, but that's more or less what the album has going for it. The sound is smooth, the atmospheres are good, and it is almost too safe. I just don't hear a lot of individual flare or identity. Even on a song level most of the songs seem to blend together a bit. Overall the sound reminds me of early Lacuna Coil with symphonic touches, but the songs aren't unique enough to put them in the same sort of songwriting company.

Stream Of Passion is the sort of band that's probably good enough for big fans of this sort of sound. If you're just jonesing for more female fronted gothic/atmospheric stuff with symphonic touches than this is good enough. Stream Of Passion just aren't ready to contend with the top names in this sort of style. Still, it is admirable that they managed to sound this polished releasing the album themselves. It's got to be nice not being beholden to a label and I admire their entrepeneurial spirit.

Highlights: The Curse, Autophobia

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment