Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Slough Feg - Digital Resistance

Heavy/Folk Metal
Metal Blade
2014










1. Analogue Avengers/Bertrand Russell's Sex Den
2. Digital Resistance
3. Habeas Corpus
4. Magic Hooligan
5. Ghastly Appendage
6. Laser Enforcer
7. The Price Is Nice
8. Curriculum Vitae
9. The Luddite
10. Warrior's Dusk

Slough Feg are a band I've liked, but not one I've reviewed before. I'm honestly not sure why that is, but I'm just getting around to them. I guess they just haven't been my largest priority, but there hasn't been a great many interesting releases this year so I'm broadening my reviewing horizons a little here. They're not the sort of band where I own a ton of their releases or a favorite, but I like their sound well enough and figured I'd give the new one a go.

Well, maybe this wasn't the best album to write my first review of the band for. Quite frankly, I've heard other stuff from the band that is much better than the songs on Digital Resistance. For the most part the album seems like it's stuck in a rut it can't quite break free from. I like Slough Feg's sort of folky, galloping influence, but most everything here never gets above a slow trot. Really a lot of the songs here have as much in common with folk rock as heavy metal. I like the folk influence fine, but you just keep waiting for a lot of these songs to break out into a higher energy gallop and they seldom do. A lot of the material here is just too ponderous/meandering and I really would have liked some more metal kick.

For the most part the album just kinda passes by without being particularly bad or good. The sound is decent, but the songs seem lethargic. There are a couple of good highlights worth noting though. Ghastly Appendage is one I like for it's sort of creeping feel that couples well with the horror vibe of the track. This is no speed demon either, but it has a nice mood to it. Perhaps the one song that does find the proper energized rhythm is Laser Enforcer which has more punch than anything else here. Magic Hooligan is the fastest track here, but it's not very well arranged and just sounded chaotic.

Overall, this just isn't a particularly noteworthy release from Slough Feg. The band has done better and I really expected better. This might be worth a look for the hardcore fan, but I wouldn't expect much and would not recommend this as an intro to the band. Digital Resistance is just not their finest work.

Highlights: Ghastly Appendage, Laser Enforcer

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment