Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hatriot - Heroes Of Origin

Thrash Metal
Massacre Records
2013









1. Suicide Run
2. Weapons Of Class Destruction
3. Murder American Style
4. Blood Stained Wings
5. The Violent Times Of My Dark Passenger
6. Globicidal
7. And Your Children To Be Damned
8. The Mechanics Of Annihilation
9. Shadows Of The Buried
10. Heroes Of Origin

I have to admit that I lost track of Souza a bit after he left Exodus. The first Exodus album without him was very good in my opinion and Dublin Death Patrol wasn't really that interesting or exciting. After their first album I kinda tuned out. However, with Exodus slipping fast and their last 3 albums not interesting me at all either, I decided to give Souza's new band a look. Worth a shot as I'd like to hear some thrash in the vein of Exodus again with the actual Exodus going more modern. One fun fact worth mentioning about this band going in is that two of the members are Souza's kids.

Well, the kids hold up pretty well in this metal foray. Listening to Hatriot's debut, this is some pretty solid stuff. Nothing here really reinvents the wheel and it sounds mostly like the band trying to recreate old Exodus. That being said, they don't do it half bad and that was pretty much what I was looking for out of this. I think some other older Exodus fans might share that desire as well, so nothing really wrong with that. This is fairly traditional thrash with Souza's trademark snarl and honestly this probably sounds more like Exodus than Exodus does these days which makes for a good niche for Hatriot. Aside from the obvious comparison to early Exodus ala Fabulous disaster that I've already mentioned, I do also hear a bit of older/80s OverKill as well as a bit of Slayer. There's also a slight feel of throwback thrash like some of the thrash metal revivalists such as Warbringer or Lazarus AD at times. Nothing ground breaking here, but not half bad either. I'm not sure I see this band putting out an album to Really measure up to classic Exodus, but hey... I'll take it.

Basically, this is the best thing Souza has done since Exodus and better than the current Exodus. That's gotta be worth something to thrash fans. I'd say if you like old Exodus and Souza than check this out. It might not level you like the days of old, but I do think this is pretty good and meets realistic expectations of it.

Highlights: Weapons Of Class Destruction, Murder American Style, The Violent Times Of My Dark Passenger

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment