Saturday, October 13, 2012

Vicious Rumors - Razorback Killers

Heavy Metal
SPV/Steamhammer
2011






1. Murderball
2. Black
3. Razorback Blade
4. Blood Stained Sunday
5. Pearl Of Wisdom
6. All I Want Is You
7. Axe To Grind
8. Let The Garden Burn
9. Rite Of Devastation
10. Deal With The Devil

Vicious Rumors are a band who I've always thought were ok, but not really much more. This is the sort of album I review when I just sort of feel like reviewing something. Hey you never know right? Sometimes things surprise you.

Well, not always. Don't get me wrong though. This is not a bad album. I just can't help thinking it isn't a particularly impressive one either. None of these songs just have that certain something that make them jump out at me and put this album at the next level. Overall, I could throw Razorback Killers on as a background album or hear them live as an opener to a better act and be ok with this material.

What we have here is something that reminds me of a modernized Judas Priest in much the same way Jugulator was. It's got a heavy sound, some snarled vocals with the occasional multi-layered gruff stuff, and some screams. All in all things sound pretty aggressive, but the songs also blend together a bit. In a way I want to like this album because the guy can scream, there's some pretty decent soloing, etc but this album is kind of unimaginative.

In the end, this is not exactly my cup of tea, but I don't think it sucks either. If you're really into this sort of amped up Judas Priest sound like their heavier attempts, Cage, Marshall Law, etc this might be up your alley. I don't think this is the best this style has been done though. The songwriting simply isn't there in this reviewer's opinion.

Highlights: Blood Stained Sunday, Razorback Blade

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment