Saturday, October 13, 2012

Seven Witches - Call Upon The Wicked

Power Metal
Massacre
2011






1. Fields of Fire
2. Lilith
3. Call upon the Wicked
4. Ragnarock
5. End of Days
6. Mind Games
7. Harlot Of Troy
8. Eyes of Fame
9. White Room

Seven Witches are a band who, at least to me and I can probably even say most, has been on the decline. I do continue to listen to all their albums though and it's been a frustrating experience. It hasn't been that many albums (only two with Tecchio) on vocals, but it has been a number of years. I would also argue though that the decline started on the second Rivera album, Year of the Witch, as the band really kind of peaked with Xiled To Infinity And One and Passage To The Other Side. Not since have I heard the intensity and energy that this band once showed itself capable of.

Well, after listening to call Upon The Wicked I have to say that my frustration continues. Why this is just not coming together anymore is beyond me. With talents like Jack Frost and James Rivera you would think the results would be better than this, but the songs just haven't been there.

Just by virtue of replacing the highly mediocre Alan Tecchio with James Rivera you do get a better result than the last couple. This is nothing great judged on it's own merit though and could easily slip among a number of mediocre, mid-paced American Power Metal bands with screamer vocalists. There's nothing at all original about any of these songs and they lack guitar hooks, strong vocal melodies, or really anything particularly interesting. James Rivera just never really comes off as very powerful here and I have to blame the songwriting as I know he is capable. The best this album gets out of him is some ill suited shrieks over mid-paced blandness.

Call Upon The Wicked is just one of those albums where there's nothing I find objectionable about the general delivery, but never do I stop and think 'hey this is a good part/moment'. It just kinda drones on and then it's done, leaving very little impression. Basically, this album never either cuts loose in high energy fashion or reaches those awesome atmospheric moments like the title track to Passage To The Other Side. Either might have boosted this album. Instead, this is completely mediocre. Actually, that might even be an understatement as even the most typical American PM album tends to have it's moments and this really has none. Wall to wall mediocre kinda covers it. I guess rising from the 1/5 I gave Amped is something? Didn't even bother to review Deadly Sins.

Highlights: Call Upon The Wicked (I guess? In relative terms)

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment