Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rhapsody Of Fire - From Chaos To Eternity

Symphonic Power Metal
Nuclear Blast
2011






1. Ad Infinitum
2. From Chaos To Eternity
3. Tempesta Di Fuoco
4. Ghosts Of Forgotten Worlds
5. Anima Perduta
6. Aeons Of Raging Darkness
7. I Belong To The Stars
8. Tornado
9. Heroes Of The Waterfalls' Kingdom

A new Rhapsody release is always something I look forward to. And yes I still refer to them as Rhapsody. None of this Rhapsody Of Fire business... they'll always be just Rhapsody to me. Some people complain this band has become somewhat stale, but honestly I don't really get that up to this point. Sure they have a familiar neoclassical style about fantasy topics, etc but it's pretty much always worked for me. For the most part anyways. I consider them more of a band who found their niche. Band leader Luca Turilli has actually said that this will be the end of an era and the conclusion of the Rhapsody sagas lyrically. What this will mean in the future of this band I'm not entirely sure, but it's interesting to think they're finally wrapping the story around the lyrics that has been going for so long at this point.

Well, if it's to be the end of this lyrical theme, etc than it makes for a pretty suiting one. This release certainly sounds like the Rhapsody we know. The leads have that familiar neoclassical style and there's some good guitar work displayed here. The energy on this album is strong with some pretty upbeat songs that remind me of their earlier material. Not to mention more paced moments like Anima Perduta and I Belong To The Stars that bring to mind the orchestral stuff in more recent days. Actually, I Belong To The Stars does seem like a mix of both old and new with the more keyboard heavy parts. Overall, I'd say this is a pretty satisfying release stylistically and in terms of songs.

I will say that this one actually Does seem a bit familiar, but I guess reaching back to the roots is to be expected on a conclusion of sorts. It doesn't really bother me anyways and there's enough which seems relatively fresh to keep me interested. This album is also boosted by solid standouts such as From Chaos To Eternity which is patented Rhapsody neoclassical energy. Aeons Of Darkness which makes good use of some harsh vocals and comes across as heavy is also pleasing to my ears. Tornado is also worth mentioning as another ripper with some well places harsh vocals. I think my one other gripe would be Heroes Of The Waterfalls' Kindom which seems a bit overinflated and maybe not worthy of over 19 minutes. It's not a bad song, just not the super epic they wanted it to be perhaps and the narrations get a bit much. This does drag the rating down just a bit for me as it is a significant portion of the album and doesn't quite seal the deal.

Overall, it's what I expected from the band though. Maybe it's not a surprising release or a perfect one, but I don't think it will disappoint fans who have hung with the band this long. I certainly found it enjoyable and a good end to an era. To me, Rhapsody (Of Fire) really are that band who found their niche and did it well. Now I wait to see what the future of this band holds.

Highlights: From Chaos To Eternity, Aeons Of Raging Chaos, Tornado

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment