Saturday, October 13, 2012

Jag Panzer - The Scourge Of The Light

Power Metal
SPV/Steamhammer

2011






1. Condemned to Fight
2. The Setting of the Sun
3. Bringing on the End
4. Call to Arms
5. Cycles
6. Overlord
7. Let It Out
8. Union
9. Burn
10. The Book of Kells

Jag Panzer are a band I'd call about as safe of a bet as you can get. There hasn't really been anything this band has done with Hary Conklin that I haven't liked. I even liked the Chain Of Command album at that. The one black spot for them in my book is Dissident Alliance, which cried for Harry Conklin back as a part of the reunion of the band.

That being said, I did have some doubts going into this one. No Chris Broderick on guitar had to be one and the other was the long time between albums. Certainly, these had to be considered at least. In the end though, it doesn't seem like much has changed.

Maybe this album is a little less dark sounding and a little more in the epic power vain, but really this is nothing new for the band. Really, Scourge Of Light sounds more like a step back toward an earlier sound. Thane To Throne comes to mind though maybe not quite that epic and over the top. This definitely feels like a real power metal album though. No complaints about this really. I loved Casting The Stones, but this is also just as good if in a different way. Personally, I like when albums have their own flavor and I'd chalk this one up to the band feeling free to vary their sound a bit.

One thing NOT to worry about is the guitar being impacted by the loss of Broderick. As much as I love his style, he's not really missed here. There are some pretty scorching solos to be found on this album and the leads hit home as well. Really the band sounds in pretty top form and it's good to hear.

In summary, this album is pretty strong from start to finish and I think it will be very appealing to Jag Panzer fans. I know some people have large expectations after such a long break, but really this delivers. If you like good American power metal than there is no reason to not pick this one up. Harry Conklin wails, the guitar still kicks ass, and the songs come together in fine form. I'd say this is pretty on par with the rest of their catalogue.

Highlights: Condemned To Fight, The Setting Of The Sun, Union, The Book Of Kells

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment