Saturday, October 13, 2012

Imperia - Secret Passion

Symphonic/Gothic Metal
Massacre
2011






1. Touch Of Your Hand
2. Secret Passion
3. Fragile
4. Out Of Sight
5. Let Down
6. Violence
7. Like Rain
8. Suicide
9. Hold On
10. Greed
11. Missing It All
12. My Sleeping Angel
13. Mistress

Imperia aren't a band I've payed a lot of attention to up to this point. I remember listening to Queen Of Light and not being incredibly impressed with it. Basically, it was one of those albums I thought was just OK and never actually got around to reviewing. Well, now here they are with a new one called Secret Passion and I'm feeling motivated to do some writing.

Secret Passion is fairly typical of your standard female symphonic/gothic stuff, but I do find the songwriting is improving for the band. Helena Iren Michaelsen does have a good voice so given the right material this band does have potential and they seem to be finding it here. The style of the songs is nothing new and this is nothing to rock the female fronted boat, but I do find myself enjoying the songs. If this is your sort of style than this is probably somewhere in the upper middle of the style. One track to miss is definitely the bonus one entitled Mistress. This is really less a metal song and more of a club/dance one. I would have been very ok with this song being left off the album entirely.

In the end, if you enjoy the more Goth leaning female fronted acts than there's probably enough here to satisfy. I don't consider this a top release in the style and it brings nothing new to the table, but if you're big on the style than this is another album for your collection.


Highlights: Secret Passion, Touch Your Hand

Rating - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment