Friday, October 5, 2012

Helloween - 7 Sinners

Power Metal
SPV
2010






1. Where The Sinners Go
2. Are You Metal?
3. Who is Mr. Madman?
4. Raise The Noise
5. World Of Fantasy
6. Long Live The King
7. The Smile Of The Sun
8. You Stupid Mankind
9. If A Mountain Could Talk
10. The Sage, The Fool, The Sinner
11. My Sacrifice
12. Not Yet Today
13. Far In The Future

Helloween aren't a band that I'm as all over as some people. I get their place in the history of power metal, but in terms of personal enjoyment I'd put them in the category of hit and miss. I had little expectations going into this one for the simple reason that sometimes I like Helloween and sometimes I do not. Never know what to expect going into a new Helloween release. I do have to say I read some not so good things about this prior to listening though.

The question that popped into my head upon listening to this however is 'Am I listening to the same album?'. The first couple tracks Where The Sinners Go and Are You Metal? weren't huge winners by me, but after that I found this album catchy, energetic, and just heavy enough to keep my head moving. The first couple really do try a little hard to be heavy, but I find that after that we find a good balance and some pretty strong songwriting. Who Is Mr. Madman has a nice classic 'happy' feeling while still sounding heavy and has a memorable chorus. After that one Raise The Noise follows in a similarly energetic and heavy fashion with tons of energy and a flute solo that I think kicks ass. Beyond that I also love the melodic flow of World Of Fantasy and the heavy german power sound of Long Live The King. Pretty flawless series of 4 tracks right there.

The album never Quite hits those heights again, but as a whole package I find this album has a good blend of happy power metal and a bit of edge. This is how I like my Helloween and this is one of their better recent albums in my opinion. I recommend this one to people who dig the sound of albums like The Dark Ride and Keepers Pt 3. Though the highlights hit all at once, I find this whole album pretty enjoyable.

Highlights: Raise The Noise, Who Is Mr Madman?, World Of Fantasy, Long Live The King

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment