Saturday, October 13, 2012

Adrenaline Mob - Omerta

Alternative Metal/Rock
Capitol Records
2012






1. Undaunted
2. Psychosane
3. Indifferent
4. All On The Line
5. Hit The Wall
6. Feelin' Me
7. Come Undone (Duran Duran cover)
8. Believe Me
9. Down To The Floor
10. Angel Sky
11. Freight Train

I don't know where to even begin with this one. In theory a collaboration between Russel Allen of Symphony X and Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater sounds like it could be a great thing right? I mean I'm not a big Dream Theater fan as most well know, but we're talking about a very skilled drummer and one excellent singer here. Both of these guys have been involved in highly regarded progressive metal so you'd kinda think this album might follow that trend. Certainly, both members do bring a level of talent to the band to start.

Well, throw any preconceived notions about these two right out the window. If you're expecting Symphony X or Dream Theater than you are going to be sorely, sorely disappointed. From the first track I could feel any hope for this album obliterated in nuclear fashion. I've just gotta come right out and call this utterly mindless, chuggy, nu-metal/alt-rock drivel. This is pure, shameless radio rock and coming from someone I respect(ed) as much as Russel Allen this simply pisses me off. Omerta is basically an album made up of boring riffing with Russell Allen sounding like more recent Symphony X in that generally rougher voice most of the time. The first comparisons to come to mind for me are moments of Disturbed, Seether, and Sevendust and if that doesn't express the bad taste this left in my mouth than I dont know what can. Any number of other radio rock bands could come to mind, but honestly they tend to blend together for me and I don't pay that much attention if it can be helped. I mean to say these guys are jumping the shark is an understatement. They're more like jumping the shark on a pod racing course in a fridge that is propelled by a nuclear blast.

In short, this is like the antithesis of the true metal scene and everything I like about the genre. This has mass produced, major label, easily marketed to the braindead masses, garbage written all over it. Oh Russel Allen... how you wound me. Rated as a metal album this doesn't deserve a shred of positive and that's how I rate things on this Metal site folks. You have been warned. I'm already preparing to crown this one worst 'metal' album of the year to loose the term loosely. I could barely even stand listening to this all the way through.

Highlights: Nothing, Zero, Zilch, Nada

Rating - 0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment