Friday, October 5, 2012

Accept - Blood Of The Nations

Traditonal/Heavy Metal
Nuclear Blast
2010






1. Beat the Bastards
2. Teutonic Terror
3. The Abyss
4. Blood of the Nations
5. Shades of Death
6. Locked and Loaded
7. Kill the Pain
8. Rolling Thunder
9. Pandemic
10. New World Comin'
11. No Shelter
12. Bucket Full of Hate

I've gotta say to start this one that I've never been much of an Accept fan really. To me this band has always been inconsistent and while they've had some great songs, I've never really considered their albums great. You, of course, are free to disagree, but that's where I'm coming from here. I know many consider this band quite the classic.

Now I'll just come out and say this album shocked me. A new Accept album minus Udo didn't exactly leave me dying to hear it, but this album kicked my ass from the very first riff and never really stopped. To me the consistency of this album is shocking and also surprising is the utter lack of me missing Udo at all. New vocalist Mark Tornillo does an impressive job taking over here and they seem to have picked the perfect replacement in every way. This guy has a lot edge, a great voice reminiscent enough of Udo to satisfy fans, and a powerful voice at that.

The music here is also just classic Accept. There's a shitload of edge to the music and it's just straight ahead ass kicking traditional metal. There is nothing modern sounding here at all and this seems like it could have come out from Accept in the 80s. I just really love how faithful this band is to what I believe the fans want.

Also impressive here is the huge amount of material. At over an hour in length this is no lightweight. For an album to sustain itself that long with good material is certainly worthy of praise. It could just be that all this time off has lit a fire in the band as well and maybe gave them time to put together a lot of great songs. Sometimes you just can't force songwriting out and put out releases too quickly and when you have a band that's been sitting this long the results can be great.

To me Blood Of The Nations is a band just at the absolute top of their game. This is an album to rival anything Accept has done in my opinion and the future is looking bright for the band. All the problems with Udo, etc don't seem to matter anymore and if Accept can sustain this level of songwriting than they will have no problems keeping this band kicking ass. This may not be my favorite album of the year in the end, as it will probably come from a band I'm More a fan of, but it is a damn solid one... especially for someone who never really considered himself that much of a fan. Consider me impressed.

Highlights: Beat The Bastards, Teutonic Terror, Blood Of The Nations, Pandemic

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment