Saturday, October 6, 2012

40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room

Doom Metal
Cyclone Empire

2011






1. Restless
2. Open My Eyes
3. Between Times
4. Carry Me Home
5. This Alone

40 Watt Sun are a band I decided to check out randomly because they're going to be playing a small club around here. I tend to watch the local venues and see if anything good might be coming around. Then when I saw a band listed as doom metal I figured I'd give em a look. Band coming around this way who plays doom metal off a debut album? Interesting. Also worth noting is the fact that a couple of the members hail from the band Warning and Patrick Walker is a cousin to Richard Walker of Solstice.

Listening to The Inside Room is kind of like listening to the soundtrack to someone's depression. This is not the sort of doom with a lot of heaviness or upbeat moments. There is an underlying heaviness, but I wouldn't say the sound of the guitar is really based on sounding that way. What we have here is doom metal which trudges forward with a sort of listless quality and an absolutely dreary vibe. Couple that with the sort of mournful/dirge-like sound of the vocals and it makes for a really moody sounding album. There is a sort of epic doom note to the music as well as 4 out of 5 songs check in at over 9 minutes. Though there are only 5 tracks the album is not really short. I'm hard pressed to come up with an exact comparison in terms of bands though Solstice, Solitude Aeturnus, and Abdullah come to mind at their more atmospheric and somber moments.

The Inside Room is the sort of album that establishes a mood and flows together nicely from track to track. If you want a really good, new doom band who delivers slow, somewhat mellow, and highly depressing stuff than this is for you. I could see listening to this to relax or when I'm really fuckin depressed. The feeling in this music really elevates it and makes it a top form debut. I was hard pressed to pick highlights as it is all good. I did however want to keep it to two since I didn't want to list more than half the album as a highlight. The Inside Room does make for a great total experience though.

Highlights: Restless, Carry Me Home

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment