Friday, September 28, 2012

Yngwie Malmsteen - Perpetual Flame

Neoclassical/Power Metal
Rising Force Records
2008






1. Death Dealer
2. Damnation Game
3. Live to Fight (Another Day)
4. Red Devil
5. Four Horsemen (Of the Apocalypse)
6. Priest of the Unholy
7. Be Careful What You Wish For
8. Caprici Di Diablo (Instrumental)
9. Lament (Instrumental)
10. Magic City
11. Eleventh Hour
12. Heavy Heart (Instrumental)

Yngwie Malmsteen is pretty much a name synonymous with self indulgent show off guitar and I can't say I've ever been much a fan. Add into the equation Ripper Owens who's pretty much always been a mediocre replacement singer and I can't say I was all that psyched up for this one.

For the most part however, I've gotta say that this album sounds better than I expected. There are times during the more melodic neoclassical guitar passages where I feel like Ripper doesn't exactly mesh, but for the most part Malmsteen keeps things fairly heavy with an edge to the guitar and here Owens fits in comfortably with suitable aggression. Damnation Game in particular has a nice heavy sound that lends itself to Owens. On the other hand, a more melodic neoclassical laden ride like Death Dealer seems like it might have been better suited to someone with a melodic power voice. Other songs sometimes go for a more epic vibe and Live To Fight could've found a home among the better tracks on The Glorious Burden from Iced Earth probably.

Overall, this album isn't exactly my cup of tea as I'm not a big fan of Yngwie's playing or Ripper's voice and the instrumentals are rather mind numbing. It did manage to come off better than I expected though and some of the heavier moments are good enough. Basically, if you like Ripper and Malmsteen than you'll probably find the combo good enough.

Highlights: Damnation Game, Red Devil

Rating - 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment