Saturday, September 29, 2012

WASP - Babylon

Heavy Metal
Demolition Records
2009






1. Crazy
2. Live To Die Another Day
3. Babylon's Burning
4. Burn (Deep Purple cover)
5. Into The Fire
6. Thunder Red
7. Seas of Fire
8. Godless Run
9. Promised Land (Chuck Berry cover)

WASP are a band who have pretty much settled into a predictable formula for their releases. When you get a WASP album, you mostly know what you're going to hear. That being said, I've enjoyed many of their releases older and newer and a new WASP album is always something I wait for. Their last album in particular, Dominator, had some really strong songs. It's standout songs with good hooks that make WASP if not originality.

Unfortunately, on Babylon I have a gripe that drags down this album before even listening to it. 43 minutes of music with TWO cover songs? One of which was recorded during the sessions for the Last album by the way. We're talking about 35 minutes of original material here... and listening to the album I use the term 'original' pretty loosely. Really there's about enough original songs here for an EP. I must say that I do like the cover of Burn though. I'm not sure if a cover being one of the highlights is a good or bad thing, but it is for whatever that's worth.

That being said, there are some decent if mostly unremarkable original cuts here. Crazy is a good album starter and has single worthy catchiness. Unfortunately while a lot of the other songs qualify as pretty decent they are also highly typical to the point of not standing out a great deal. When I listen through this album I never really find a bad moment, but neither do I often go 'this rocks!'. Most of the songs here are a little Too familiar.

In the end I have to say that they kinda phoned this one in. It's not a bad listen at all, but it's also not by any means a great one with a bunch of new songs for the WASP live catalogue. Pretty forgettable. More and more it seems like WASP is putting out formulaic albums just for the sake of a release and a sale. I mean the last album was about 43 minutes as well, similar sound, etc. Less musical expression and more of a standard product at this point. If you like WASP this is decent, but don't set your hopes too high.

Highlights: Crazy, Burn

Rating - 3.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment