Saturday, September 22, 2012

Visions Of Atlantis - Trinity

Symphonic Power
Napalm Records
2007






1. At The Back of Beyond
2. The Secret
3. Passing Dead End
4. The Poem
5. Nothing Left
6. My Darkside Home
7. Wing-Shaped Heart
8. Return To You
9. Through My Eyes
10. Flow This Desert
11. Seven Seas

I've been hearing some buzz about this band Visions Of Atlantis so I figured I'd give this one a shot and the review treatment. They seem to be an up and comer in the scene and I've heard a fair amount of praise. This one marks their third release and my first experience with the band.

Well after listening to this album I feel like I've walked away with pretty much nothing. The female fronted symphonic power genre is a very crowded one and among all of them this one really takes the prize for zero originality. I pretty much get the impression that I've just listened to a new, mediocre Nightwish album. The music gos for a symphonic and melodic approach and at times feels like they've directly lifted the music from Nightwish. The female vocals are operatic and there is also a male vocalist who sings cleanly and reminds me of a not so gruff Marco Hietela. There's just so little (if anything) to latch onto that's the bands own that it's amazingly boring. I felt like I was going to just fall asleep listening to this release. Formulatic and samey this album is in the end an 8th generation copy in a style that needs some new ideas. This release just makes me think Visions Of Atlantis were trying to make a by numbers release that would appeal to an existing fanbase and they put zero effort into putting themselves into the music.

In the end this release is just utterly forgettable. Is the music terrible? No. Is the female singer talented? Yes. The songs are just so bland that I can't recommend this to anyone. The album is not actively bad so I'll give this one a 2 rating, but Visions Of Atlantis is the last thing this style needs.

Highlights: None

Rating - 2.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment