Sunday, September 16, 2012

Virgin Steele - Visions Of Eden

Traditional/Power Metal
Sanctuary
2006






1. Immortal I Stand (The Birth Of Adam)
2. Adorned With The Rising Cobra
3. The Ineffable Name
4. Black Light On Black
5. Bonedust
6. Angel Of Death
7. God Above God
8. The Hidden God
9. Childslayer
10. When Dusk Fell
11. Visions Of Eden

I've always been a moderate fan of Virgin Steele and I own a couple of their albums. I can't say this was really one I was beating down doors for though. While I've always thought they were cool, they weren't among my favorites or anything.

Well the album cover suits the album because this is certainly my dark horse of the year. Seriously, I never would've thought I would enjoy this album as much as I did. No way in Hell. I am honestly overwhelmed after hearing this release. It's like the album I didn't know I'd been needing.

I have to believe that Defeis has hit some sort of milestone with this release. This just feels like what he's been trying to achieve for albums now. Not that the past few weren't good, but this one just brings the sound to a new level. Everything is so majestic and frankly... beautiful. Listening to this album is like listening to the soundtrack to some epic movie or a modern symphony. This album just brought me on a journey and there were moments that literally gave me chills. The use of piano and various other classical instrumentation is so greatly used without sounding too pompous and certainly nothing like your over the top speed/symphonic power metal bands. Most all the songs are long and virtually every one shifts moods within the track. I can think of few albums that I've listened to that were this gripping and it's hard to even pick favorite songs. Plus add in the fact this is a good hour and 20 minutes long with absolutely no filler to be found.

This album is like one complete piece and there's a lot to absorb. One thing I can say is that I find this album to be incredibly powerful and it had my rapt attention from the first listen. From the heavy, passionate anger to the stunning ballads this is just a complete experience. It was like I couldn't tear my ears away so to speak. This is not just a good album... this is an achievement in music.

I feel like I should recommend this to anyone with a remote interest in epic storytelling through music. Seriously, if you enjoy this sort of theatrical metal this is a total must. A first in my writing of reviews for new albums.... 5 out of 5.

Highlights: Black Light On Black, God Above God, Immortal I Stand, When Dusk Fell, Visions Of Eden

Rating - 5.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment