Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Dogma - A Good Day To Die

Power/Gothic/Symphonic
Drakkar
2007






1. The Beginning Of The End (Intro)
2. A Good Day To Die
3. In The Name Of Rock
4. Bitches Street
5. She Falls On The Grave
6. I Hate Your Love
7. Autumn Tears
8. Ridin´ The Dark
9. Angel In Cage
10. Back From Hell
11. Feel My Pain
12. Bullet In My Soul
13. Christine Closed Her Eyes

The Dogma made quite an impression on me last year with their debut album so this was certainly an anticipated release for this reviewer. The debut was a strikingly original combination of symphonic power and goth metal and left me wanting more. It always makes me nervous when bands follow up albums so quickly, but I was eager to hear it none the less.

After listening to the album I can safely say that the band's original sound remains pretty well intact and the band even attempts to build on it a bit already. Songs like In The Name Of Rock and Bitches Street with their more basic rock approach are surprising inclusions that would've probably seemed out of place on the first album. I'd have to say the results are mixed here as the lyrics are a bit silly and while In The Name Of Rock is a catchy and enjoyable anthem, Bitches Street just comes off awkwardly. Not exactly what I was looking for from the band, but In The Name Of Rock turned into a pleasant surprise anyways. The two low points of the album for me though have to be Autumn Tears and Christine Closed Her Eyes which seem too minimalist and mellow. I'm not opposed to ballads but these ones don't really have Any metal kick to them and drag to me. Neither is a terrible song, but I'd have taken or left em.

I can't say I consider this album as rock solid as the first and maybe they were pushing it releasing another album this quickly, but the overall result is pretty strong. There are some songs that seem a little less flowing and more direct and safe to the power genre, but others continue the tradition set by the first Dogma release well. The ripping Back From Hell in particular combines blazing symphonic power with a smooth gothic feel admirably. She Falls On The Grave's symphonic punch and Bullet In My Soul's flowing melodies remind me very much of the first album as well and are both definite hits. Feel My Pain is an interesting inclusion that struck a good chord with me as well. The whole track reminds me very much of a Sentenced tune, complete with a Ville impression on the vocals. Not a bad thing by me.

In the end this is a worthy follow up, if maybe a little less original in parts. Perhaps a little more down time before the next album would help, but this still delivers plenty of strong tunes and nothing I'd consider 'bad'. Recommended to anyone who likes passionate and emotive power metal and might be looking for a new, original, and tight band.

Highlights: Back From Hell, Feel My Pain, She Falls On The Grave, Bullet In My Soul

Rating - 4.0/5

No comments:

Post a Comment