Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Cursed - Room Full Of Sinners

Groove/Stoner Metal
Screaming Ferret
2007





1. Sweeter
2. Evil, In the Bag
3. Wij Leven als God in Frankrijk
4. Breaking her Down
5. Best of the Worst
6. Native Tongue
7. Serpentine Slither
8. All's Right
9. One Time
10. Queen of the Down
11. Generate her

Anyone who knows me at all know's what a fan of OverKill I am so this album is something I had been waiting for for awhile now. The concept of Blitz doing something different with a side project was an intriguing one and I definitely liked the results when DD Verni came up with The Bronx Casket Co. Originally, I remember hearing of Blitz working with Chris Caffery and had high hopes for the project, but that one died on the vine. When I heard that Blitz was now working with Dan Lorenzo of Hades... I was admittedly less encouraged.

With a bunch of musicians from Non-Fiction/Hades and a band I've never heard of (Murder 1) this doesn't exactly have a lot of respected musician power behind it. Not that nobodies can't be good, but I've heard some of these nobody's try to make music before. I've gotta believe Blitz could've gotten some better talent interested in a project than he assembled for this band. I guess it's the 'fellow NJ thrashers' bit that assembled this lackluster crew.

Basically, the end result of this album sounds like a piss poor version of I Hear Black. It seems fairly obvious to me that Blitz wanted to get back to that Black Sabbath worshiping sound and try it with a band more appropriate than OverKill, but this is nowhere near as interesting. The riffs are flat out boring and could've been recycled from any mediocre stoner rock outfit. If you get an uninventive groove guitarist like Dan Lorenzo that's what you're liable to end up with though. This album just has zero interesting guitar moments, run of the mill songwriting, and plods along with a very basic formula the band never really deviates from.

The bottom line on The Cursed's debut is that it belongs in no other place than the bottom of the stoner rock/poor sabbath worship tedium pile. This style can be done well but the lack of any clear stamp of originality on it is dooming (no pun intended).The only thing that remotely makes this stand out is Blitz' unique voice but the dull music makes for no real energy in the singing. Certainly not his best performance as there's no real unleashing of the pipes and the music creates no energy in the vocal pacing. I really wouldn't recommend this one to anybody and the album has nothing in terms of highlights.

Highlights: None

Rating - 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment