Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Dogma - Black Roses

Symphonic/Gothic/Power Metal?
Drakkar
2006






1. Black Roses
2. Wicked Angels
3. Queen of the Damned
4. Devil's Bride
5. ...And Julie No More
6. Ghost of War
7. Temptation
8. Waiting For The Rain
9. Sands of Time
10. Maryann

My thought of the day... Advertisement is not always such a bad thing. While I am constantly overloaded with ads, bands and otherwise, occasionally something good comes of it. In this case, said good thing is The Dogma. I only came upon this band because they added my personal account on Myspace and I am really glad this band did not pass me by.

The Dogma are a new band on the scene and Black Roses is their debut album. The first thing that struck me when I heard a few songs from this band was the different style they had, which is something metal is often dreadfully in need of. The sound here is best described as a combination of symphonic metal with goth utilizing the heavy guitar sound and approach most common in american power metal. And the thing about this is it all comes together so seemlessly and beautifully I was in awe after listening to this album. Truely one of the most stylistically adventurous things I've heard in awhile and hearing this kind of tightness out of such different styles and a new band is utterly amazing to me. The vocals carry an incredible amount of passion and the symphonic arrangements just add to that powerful, emotional feel. Add to that occasional blasts of speed that remind of Rhapsody with more balls and you have one hell of an epic and heavy band. This band simply put, has it all in my opinion. Truely a best of both worlds scenario and not exactly a combination I would've thought of.

Majestic, passionate, and with great guitar sound & playing... this is just a must own in my book. This is without a doubt, the best thing I have heard so far this year. You know that feeling when you're listening to a song on a new album and you think 'oh this is going to be my favorite track'? Well I got that from just about every track. I still can't absolutely make up my mind on the highlights as they're all great, but I'll try to form a list anyways. This will be the first time I've ever given a new album a 4.5.

Highlights: Ghost Of War, Queen Of The Damned, Waiting For The Rain, Maryann

Rating - 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment